Anyone considering purchasing the Nikon D600, and if so, what is your primary camera that you are shooting with now?

The reason I am asking is that I've just started the process of writing a book in the Snapshot to Great Shot series on the D600 and I'm really curious to find out who this camera appeals to most.

Embedded Link

DXO Labs Rates the Nikon D600 Sensor the Third Best Ever
The gurus of camera benchmarks at DXO Labs just published their review of the Nikon D600, rating its 24-megapixel senor the third best of all time behind the two different versions of the Nikon 800.

Google+: View post on Google+

Post imported by Google+Blog. Created By Daniel Treadwell.

20 Responses to “Anyone considering purchasing the Nikon D600, and if so, what is your primary camera…”

1. Alan Hess says:

I am seriously thinking of getting one as a backup body to my D4. I have a D700 right now that is awesome but it doesn't shoot video and I would like the extra megapixels when I need to crop in due to shooting position restrictions. I am hoping to be able to review one soon. And good news…. I am not writing a book about it. There was talk of it, but I have a full plate right now.

· September 20, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

2. Alan Hess says:

· September 20, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

3. Rob Sylvan says:

I could see that working well for you. Maybe I'll fly down and let you use mine and in return you can sneak me into a cool venue. :)

Glad you are not doing the book too! 😀

· September 20, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

4. Rob Sylvan says:

Glad you are not doing the book too! 😀

· September 20, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

5. Alan Hess says:

I think this camera is going to be a game changer for a lot of shooters who want to move to full frame. I do wish it was about $200 cheaper putting it under the $2000 mark but hey, the D700 was about $3000 when it came out. and if Im not wrong, I believe that the D600 has a built in focusing motor which means all those old lenses that can be picked up for cheap will autofocus with this body.. Big plus..

· September 20, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

6. Alan Hess says:

· September 20, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

7. Rob Sylvan says:

Yeah, getting it under the $2K mark in the US would make a lot more people open their wallets I think. It seems more targeted to prosumers in terms of features, but it feels like a more pro level price tag.

· September 20, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

8. Rob Sylvan says:

· September 20, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

9. Matt Dawson says:

+Rob Sylvan I'm using a D90. I've been considering moving to a full frame camera and this appears to have the feature set and price that makes it plausible.

Agree that the camera's apparent target market means the body should be a little cheaper. It's even more of a problem in countries such as Australia. SRP here is around $2799 AUD instead of the $2099 USD you are commenting about. At today's exchange rate that equates to $2923 USD. Its no wonder there is a thriving grey market importing camera gear without the ridiculous markups Nikon adds. I'm hoping there will be some rebate/cashback over the next few months that will attempt to address some of the imbalance.

· September 21, 2012 @ 1:16 am

10. Matt Dawson says:

· September 21, 2012 @ 1:16 am

11. Amos Struck says:

Olympus OM-D – i will propably sell all my Canon stuff now!

· September 21, 2012 @ 8:36 am

12. Amos Struck says:

Olympus OM-D – i will propably sell all my Canon stuff now!

· September 21, 2012 @ 8:36 am

13. Rob Sylvan says:

Wow, didn't realize the price in Australia was so much higher.

Amos, the Olympus OM-D looks really sweet. Would like to see that in action.

· September 21, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

14. Rob Sylvan says:

Wow, didn't realize the price in Australia was so much higher.

Amos, the Olympus OM-D looks really sweet. Would like to see that in action.

· September 21, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

15. Amos Struck says:

+Rob Sylvan go try one – it's awesome quality in such a small package. I think Canon and Nikon has a big problem with the new M4/3 cameras.

· September 22, 2012 @ 11:17 am

16. Amos Struck says:

· September 22, 2012 @ 11:17 am

17. Rob, I'll let you know after this weekend when I shoot an indoor ice skating event (an evening with champions for the jimmy fund).  I photograph ice skater a lot and this camera appeals to me because of its compact size and high ISO capabilities. I'm renting one so I'll let you know how it measures up.  I'm currently using the Nikon D300.

· September 24, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

18. Rob, I'll let you know after this weekend when I shoot an indoor ice skating event (an evening with champions for the jimmy fund).  I photograph ice skater a lot and this camera appeals to me because of its compact size and high ISO capabilities. I'm renting one so I'll let you know how it measures up.  I'm currently using the Nikon D300.

· September 24, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

19. marcus leng says:

Bought it 2 days ago, test it & it is fantastic. I am a D7000 user, just sold it last week & now upgrade to D600, From now onward,  I will never want to use any crop sensor camera any more!

· December 25, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

20. Matt Dawson says:

+Rob Sylvan, I did end up getting a D600 after all. Loving it! Now just need to spend some more time with it to adjust to the changes from my D90.

· January 8, 2013 @ 1:03 am